OK, so you’ve got a service, product or brand to promote. You’ve set up an estimated budget and have some rough ideas you’re mulling over for an advertising campaign. Read on for potential digital advertising partners in Tanzania to discuss the project background, flesh out your marketing, sales or communication objectives, target audience, desired call-to-action and scheduling.
DIGITAL ADVERTISING AGENCIES IN TANZANIA
In a previous article, we looked at the digital landscape in Tanzania as well as the primary digital advertising channels available. For most businesses though, the advertising function is more often than not outsourced to professionals in the field.
Advertising agencies in Tanzania cover nearly all forms of advertising although most are still rooted in the traditional model. Marketers and decision makers are still skeptical as to the benefits of digital. The education process is a long and hard road and even where headway has been made, the implication should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Let’s now look at some of the more popular agencies in Tanzania, what they do and who they serve.
1. AIM Group – AIM Group is the first truly digital agency in Tanzania. In an age where advertisers have struggled to come to terms with the way digital is sold in Sub-Saharan Africa, AIM Group stepped up and really changed the game. Following digital advertising standards established in the US, Europe and pretty much the rest of the developed world, AIM Group began the wave of change that is seeing more and more agencies and marketers alike turning to digital.
- Size: Largest in Tanzania
- Scope of services: Traditional, Development, Digital and Social Media (Full services agency)
- Client roster: Vodacom Tanzania, Tanzania Breweries Limited (TBL), Raha, etc.
- Employees: 50-100
2. Ogilvy Tanzania – Tanzanian arm of Ogilvy Africa (under Scangroup Kenya). Other Scangroup subsidiaries include Scanad and Squad Digital. Ogilvy Tanzania is one of the most reputable agencies in East Africa. Like AIM Group, their scope of services covers Social media engagement, print, creative and digital services. They serve some of Serengeti Breweries Limited’s beer brands, the National Bank of Commerce (NBC), Airtel Tanzania (managed by Ogilvy Africa out of Nairobi), Coca-Cola East Africa etc.
3. Push Mobile (now defunct) – Push Mobile are the kings of SMS marketing. Push also own SIMU.tv, a live TV and video-on-demand platform. Having partnered with Vodacom Tanzania, Push offer live TV on three major channels in Tanzania (TBC, Star TV and Channel 10). Push also offer dedicated account management on social media with full time community managers for brands that outsource their social media management. Some of their clients include Serengeti Breweries Limited.
4. Popote Media (now defunct) – While they occasionally take on digital and print, Popote primarily provide social media community building, management and engagement services. Popote’s clients include Heineken Tanzania.
5. PinPoint Africa Media (now defunct) – PinPoint Africa Media’s scope of service is limited to digital media. However, they also provide website development services as well as social media training. With media planning of the highest level, PinPoint is the first and only certified Google partner in Tanzania. Their roster includes Tigo Tanzania, Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL), Fastjet Tanzania Limited and Precision Air Services plc.
6. Flametree (now defunct) – Flametree mostly outsource their digital and are primarily a creative and social media agency. The do creative for print, billboards and digital. They supply their services to Tigo Tanzania, TLR Eclectic and Oryx Energies among others.